GDPR: The State of Readiness 18 Months Later
|Tue. December 03, 2019
08:00 am - 10:30 am
!European American Chamber of Commerce New York
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is the most important change in data privacy regulation in 20 years.
The regulation fundamentally reshapes the way in which data is handled across every sector, from healthcare to banking and beyond.
Our panel of experts will discuss the state of implementation and how GDPR is stacking up to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) here in the US.
This panel session will explore:
Looking backwards: The impact of the GDPR
● How have American companies been implementing GDPR? What internal steps have been taken?
● What are the pain points (data access requests? DPO? Accountability/privacy by design?) How are these being managed? What are the resource implications? What are the key risk exposures?
● How has GDPR affected M&A and deal making? Is it causing “indigestion” when less mature companies are bought and integration is attempted? How are GDPR risks being dealt with during due diligence and negotiations?
● How has GDPR affected sales and marketing initiatives, on both sides of the Atlantic?
● What have regulators been doing? What enforcement actions have been threatened and taken?
Looking forwards: towards CCPA
● If a company is already complying with GDPR does the CCPA really present any new challenges?
● What questions remain unanswered, or what significant ambiguities still remain under the CCPA?
● Do "exemptions" in the CCPA for healthcare, financial services, and non-profit corporations mean that the new law is of no consequence to those sectors?
● What other possible state or federal privacy laws mirror or differ from the requirements of the CCPA?
● Does the lack of an express private right of action in the CCPA mean that companies cannot be sued under the new law?
● Are any of these new privacy risks insurable?
● Oisín Tobin, Partner, MASON HAYES & CURRAN
● Cameron Heffernan, Director, MACH MEDIA
● Giulio Novellini, Counsel, PORTOLANO CAVALLO STUDIO LEGALE
● Mark Melodia, Head of Data Strategy, Security & Privacy, HOLLAND & KNIGHT LLP
8:00 AM - 8:30 AM - Check in/Networking
8:30 AM - 10:00 AM - Program
10:00 AM - 10:30 AM - Networking
Registration is now closed, as we are at capacity. We are looking forward to seeing you at one of our future events.