Webinar: Breaking up is hard to do! BREXIT and its impact on Intellectual Property Rights
|Tue. April 21, 2020
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
The United Kingdom left the European Union on January 31, 2020 and entered an 11-month “transition period” running until December 31st, 2020 during which the UK and EU will negotiate the exact terms of their future relationship. The consequences of Brexit will be far-reaching and will impact the United Kingdom and the EU in many and possibly unforeseen ways.
Companies across all industries will be affected in a variety of ways, including in areas related to intellectual property and corporate brand protection. The United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO) has provided guidance on the changes in the protection of European Union trademarks and community designs during the “Transition Period” and after the United Kingdom’s exit. This webinar will discuss the impact on registration and protection of trademarks, designs, geographical indications, and other intellectual property rights currently harmonized under EU legislation. It will also touch upon International Registrations, .eu domain names and the enforcement of rights in the EU Customs Union.
Topics to be covered
● What does the “transition period” entail and what do you need to be aware of during this period with regards to new filings, renewals, etc …
● There’s been discussion about “cloning” of registered rights post-transition period. What does this mean?
● What happens in case of pending court proceedings during / after the “transition period”?
● Will copyrights and patents be affected by Brexit?
● How are European companies preparing for this?
● What impact will Brexit have on US companies with business operations in Europe?
This webinar is offered by the Dade County Bar Association in collaboration with EACC Florida
● Jaime Rich Vining, Esq – Friedland Vining (Miami, FL) - Moderator
● Prof. Caroline Bradley - University of Miami School of Law (Miami, FL)
● Michael Hawkins – Noerr (Alicante, Spain)
● Steven Kozlowski - Kozlowski Law Firm P.A (Miami, FL)
If you require Florida CLEs, register HERE