The Unconscious Bias of Voice and Accent
|Tue. September 15, 2020
10:00 am - 11:00 am
When you think of leaders and speakers you admire what kind of voice comes to mind? Our communication styles and voice are such a big part of who we are and how we show up in the world. Yet not all voices are treated equally. Now more than ever our voices are being analyzed, whether during a presentation, on video calls or even through computer algorithms.
Our panel will share their professional and personal stories and cover the following topics:
● What information does a voice give you?
● How do you perceive your own voice?
● Should you change your voice to lead?
● How do perceived speaking styles affect career opportunities?
● Technology and how algorithms are assessing us
● Accents and Media
Join us for an interactive discussion, where we will explore what people think of as the "voice of leadership" and begin to understand some of the biases that can develop as we listen to different voices, speech patterns, communication styles, and accents. What might trigger those biases and why is it important for us to challenge ourselves to change our own perceptions?
● Lisa Patti, Founder and CEO, ACCENTC3
● James Walker, Partner, RICHARDS KIBBE ORBE
● Elizabeth van Schilfgaarde, Partner, NAUTADUTILH [Chair]
10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CET
EACCNY non-Members: Free