Webinar | Navigating the Fast-Moving GDPR Data Transfers Landscape – The Schrems II Ruling: Brexit and International Data Transfers
|Thu. December 03, 2020
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
The Wilson Sonsini Privacy and Cyber Security team is organizing a series of webinars to address data transfer issues, given the business impact and legal uncertainty resulting from the Schrems II ruling. The series - Navigating the fast-moving GDPR data transfers landscape - will offer practical tips and insights on how to address data transfers restrictions and provide the latest developments in this fast moving area.
Session 1: Brexit and International Data Transfers
Today's economy thrives on the free flow of personal information. The GDPR significantly restricts the ability of companies to export personal information outside the European Union (EU). On July 16, 2020, only two years after the GDPR became effective, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) issued a ground-breaking judgement in Schrems II, declaring the EU-US Privacy Shield invalid. In addition, the Schrems II ruling also specifies requirements that companies must meet when using the Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs) for data exports. The ruling has far reaching consequences for companies doing business in the EU, both in the B2C and B2B context.
As of today, the situation is in flux and companies are assessing how they can comply with data transfers restrictions as interpreted by the ECJ. In addition, EU-UK data flows are going to be seriously impacted by the upcoming Brexit. Current hot topics include what constitutes supplemental safeguards for the use of SCC, the exact scope of the obligations imposed on data exporters and importers, the upcoming new set of SCCs, and the impact of Schrems II on other data transfers mechanisms.
TOPICS will include how Brexit will impact data transfers and what companies should do to secure data transfers to the UK. Items that will be covered include:
• Forecast for December 2020, what Brexit likely means for data transfers, including in case of a no-deal Brexit;
• How to continue to lawfully transfer personal data from and to the UK, within and outside of your organization;
• Changes you may need to make to your contracts to ensure you capture future changes in the Brexit data transfers landscape; and
• What Brexit will mean for service providers offering products and services into the UK.
• Cédric Burton, Partner in Privacy & Cybersecurity, WILSON SONSINI
• Jan Dhont, Partner in Privacy & Cybersecurity, WILSON SONSINI
• Lore Leitner, Of Counsel in Privacy & Cybersecurity, WILSON SONSINI
Thursday, December 3, 2020
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EST
Compliments of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati - a member of the EACCNY.