Foreigners Living or Investing in France, and French expatriates: What are the pitfalls and how to avoid them?
|Thu. December 17, 2020
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
This transatlantic EACC webinar is brought to you by the EACC Paris. The Covid pandemic has only temporarily slowed international travel and expatriation, which has increased dramatically with advances in technology, social media and the mobile economy. In 2019, an estimated 9 million U.S. citizens lived overseas, with 20,690,491 U.S. passports issued— a 47 percent spike from 2014.
As much as these advances have decomplexified international mobility, Multi-National Families; Citizens, Residents in France, and French abroad end up living in a complex cross-border environment.
Many are unaware of how their nationality and place of residence can impact their lives and financial future. Legal and HR counsel of their country of origin are often equally unaware of how choices such as which marital contract, or estate planning framework, can interact with local rules.
If you are, or counsel, someone with an international mobility or investment project i.e. an American with investments or moving to France, a French citizen moving to the United States or Europe, and cannot answer the below questions, this webinar is for you:
• What is a matrimonial regime ?
• What is the European Union Regulation on cross border successions ?
• What does bare ownership and forced heirship mean?
Our panel of experts will cover the following topics:
• Transfer by inheritance : How to anticipate ?
• Tax planning
• Examples of national specificities / particularities of each system which do not export well
• Delphine Eskenzi, Partner, LIBRA AVOCATS, Paris.
• Sophie Ducamp Monod, Founder, DUCAMP MONOD NOTARIES, Paris
• Stéphanie Auferil, Partner, ARKWOOD, Paris
11:00 AM EST / 5:00 PM CET