A Transatlantic Update on Trade | Tariff | Taxes
This discussion focused around the economic and political climate in Europe and the United States, and provided an update on where we stand on EU/US Trade, tax reform on both sides of the Atlantic, as well as what to expect for the Eurozone and US economies.
The panelists addressed the following topics:
- An overview of the European economy and what is happening in the US markets
- Ramifications of the US and EU Tax reforms for both European and American companies;
- How reforms will affect FDI and what businesses need to know about Repatriation of overseas assets.
- What European companies need to know about some problematic international tax provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and other relevant issues of the US tax reform
- US and EU Trade Update:
- What is the status on Steel and Aluminum Tariffs and the response by the EU, what is happening on trade agreements (NAFTA, EU-Mexico 2.0 and EU-Japan)
- Brexit: a quick update on where we are and what issues are still open (incl. deadlines, expectations)
- The role and importance of the EU/US partnership in the global economy
- Damien Levie, Head of Trade & Agriculture Team, Embassy of the European Union to the United States
- Nick Giordano, US Tax Policy Leader, Washington Council, EY
- Catherine Mann, Global Chief Economist, CITI
- Sally Painter, COO, Blue Star Strategies, LLC [Moderator]