AlixPartners’ sixth annual global anticorruption survey polled more than 275 corporate counsel, legal and compliance officers representing more than 20 major industries globally.
This year, businesses continued to face strong FCPA enforcement activity due to increased international cooperation, data challenges from legislation like the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the emergence of new regions of concern. Our report examines the impact of these issues on organizations and effective compliance tools.
At a glance:
- 85% of survey respondents say their industries are exposed to corruption risk.
- 44% have pulled out or delayed an acquisition due to corruption risks.
- An increasing number of companies responded that they have avoided doing business in a region based on possible corruption risks.
- 66% believe there are locations where it is impossible to avoid corrupt business practices.
- Repeat offenders were featured in 3 of the 13 US enforcement actions in 2017.
- The benefits to voluntarily disclosure are becoming more evident, as 3 US Department of Justice (DOJ) enforcement actions in 2017 and 2018 were settled via Declination Letters.
- The majority of new enforcement actions to date in 2018 involved companies in the financial services industry.
Compliments of AlixPartners, a member of the EACCNY