Students participating in the SUNY Global Engagement Program spend a semester in New York City interning at a globally focused organization, participating in the Global Engagement Seminar, and doing research in a colloquium setting at the SUNY Global Center.
During Fall 2020, three GEP students interned at the Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations as a part of the EU’s Compulsory Traineeship Program. All three were placed with the Human Rights Section.
- Liz Rakowski, Buffalo State College, reflected: “One of my most accomplished moments has been curating a successful ‘UNGA Third Committee Informal Debate of UN Youth Delegates’ event. . . It felt very rewarding to help create an event where 41 countries’ delegates around my age voiced issues that I’m also concerned about.”
- Nate Long, SUNY Geneseo, supported the process for the formulation of common EU policy on the Syria resolution negotiations that passed in the Third Committee of the General Assembly on November 18th.
- Odessa Quinonez (SUNY New Paltz) attended meetings and side events, analyzed reports, and wrote briefs and summaries for colleagues about the Third Committee affairs. “Within my first week,” she said, “I attended a high-level event with ambassadors and officials from all over the world, including the Secretary General of the United Nations.”
All students were able to participate in person at the UN General Assembly general debate as well as GA resolution negotiation sessions.
For more information:
- Website: https://www.newpaltz.edu/gep/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on social media: Instagram: @sunygep; Facebook: @sunygep; Twitter: @SUNYGEP
Compliments of SUNY New Paltz – a member of the EACCNY.