Member News

Calling All Athletes: Have You Thought About Doing A Triathlon? Join Team DKMS for the 2016 NYC Triathlon on July 24, 2016

Each year, thousands of athletes brave the waters of the mighty Hudson River before biking along Manhattan’s West Side highway.  Finally, athletes put on their running shoes for a run through New York’s famed Central Park in the final stage of this iconic race.  Registration for the 2016 event is closed.  However, EACC Members can still reserve a spot into the race by participating as a member of Team DKMS in support of Delete Blood Cancer DKMS.

Athletes on Team DKMS will be helping to give hope to cancer patients in need of bone marrow transplants.  There is an option for athletes to participate as an individual or in a relay.  DKMS simply asks that participants use their online peer-to-peer giving platform to raise funds ($2,000 for individuals, $3,000 for relays) towards their lifesaving mission.

DKMS leads the fight against blood cancers like leukemia and lymphoma.  They do this by inspiring as many people as possible to register as potential bone marrow donors.  When conventional treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation don’t work, often the only hope for a patient in need is a bone marrow transplant.  Only 30% of patients find a compatible donor within their family.  The rest, 70%, must turn to the national registry.  Each year, this amounts to more than 10,000 patients needing transplants from perfect strangers.  DKMS is the world’s largest source of potential donors with over 6 million registrants of which more than 54,000 have helped save lives by donating their bone marrow.

EACC Members who participate in the NYC Triathlon through Team DKMS will receive:

• Guaranteed entry for the 2016 Panasonic NYC Triathlon
• A team jersey for race day and additional DKMS swag
• Invitation to team social events
• Pre-race team dinner for the athlete and their family hosted by DKMS
• Training calendars detailing workouts for self-led training
• Two group training meet-ups
• Access to a race mentor to review the course and best practices
• Cheering section for family and friends along the course
• Personalized DKMS online fundraising page
• Fundraising toolkit
• Fundraising support from DKMS staff member

To join Team DKMS, athletes can register online by visiting or by contacting Jaclinn Tanney at jaclinn[at] or (212) 209-6775.

Courtesy of Delete Blood Cancer DKMS – a member of the EACCNY