Member Insights & White Papers
Resources Provided by EACC Members & Partners
This section is not only a showcase of the knowledge represented within the EACC network but also a one stop resource to access a selection of Whitepapers & Best Practice Articles produced by EACC members.
They include insights on subjects such as: M&A, FCPA, Tax, Trade & Tariffs, Starting a Business, Investment, Education, Privacy, Private Equity, Financial Services and more.
If you are an EACC member and would like to include insights not currently listed we encourage you to reach out to membership[at]eaccny.com so that we can include it.
Employment Law and Immigration
- European Union Labor and Employment Law Outlook 2016
- The “European Union Labor and Employment Law Outlook 2016” summarizes EU labor market developments, the Agenda of the EU Commission and new legislation in 2016.
- Published at BNA Bloomberg, read this publication by CMS Hasche Sigle here.
- Immigration Considerations for Financial Services and Insurance Employers
- This report provides an overview of several employment and immigration compliance topics affecting the financial services and insurance industries operating in the U.S. By Faegre Baker Daniels.
- Download the report: HERE
Mergers & Acquisitions
- CMS European M&A Study 2019
- The CMS European M&A Study 2018 provides insight into the legal provisions of merger & acquisition (M&A) agreements, makes comparisons across Europe and with the US and identifies market trends. The overall geopolitical uncertainty began to affect the M & A market in Europe with a drop off during the final quarter of 2018, which was reported as having the lowest quarterly deal value since 2013. We believe M & A will continue to be undertaken by companies wishing to achieve their strategic goals and disruption can provide opportunities for those able to identify and capitalise on them. M & A opportunities remain for cash-rich domestic and international acquirers, particularly where there is a need for consolidation combined with an appetite for transformational deals.
- Download the report: CMS European M&A Outlook 2019
- Scanning the horizon: European M&A Outlook 2018
- The optimism amongst dealmakers we reported in autumn last year was well-founded: the market has remained buoyant but the question now is can this optimism survive in the current fractious international political environment? by CMS here
- How to Prepare for Cross Border M&A Deals
- In this webinar, Saul Howerton, VP of Advisory at Vistra, addressed what your organization needs to consider when vetting a cross-border M&A deal. Saul presented a general overview of carve-out challenges, such as those related to transition services agreements (TSAs), legal entity requirements and tax obligations. Also covered a deep dive into HR considerations, including acquired employee protections, insurance considerations, retaining intellectual property and fulfilling local employee-communications requirements. In addition, he presented a checklist of immigration considerations, including work permit obligations. Finally, Saul covered operational considerations, such as those related to procurement and setting up target-country payrolls and bank accounts.
- Watch the webinar by Vistra here
- Taxation trends in the European Union: 2018 Edition
The report contains a detailed statistical and economic analysis of the tax systems of the Member States of the European Union, plus Iceland and Norway, which are Members of the European Economic Area.
- Download the report here.
Starting a Business / “Doing Business in” Guides
- EY Europe Attractiveness Survey 2019
- EY’s Europe Attractiveness Survey 2019 finds foreign direct investment into Europe declined in 2018 – but a strengthened skills base and infrastructure, especially in digital, will keep it ahead of the game. Although Europe fares well compared with other regions, appetite to invest there has dropped to a seven-year low. A cocktail of economic and political uncertainty, not just in Europe but around the world, has caused businesses to throttle back on foreign investment.
- Read the full report by EY, here.
- Legal Considerations For Establishing Operations in The United States: A Guide to the Business And Legal Climate In The United States
- The business climate in the United States, though subject to business cycles, is the largest, most dynamic and durable in the world. The freedom to compete gives would-be entrants the greatest opportunity to succeed and entrenched players the greatest risk of failure. Central to the business climate is the virtual absence of political risk and the stability and predictability of the legal system.
- Read A Guide by Pepper Hamilton LLP here.
- ONE-STOP SHOP, A Top – Level Service to provide support to Investments in the Paris Region
- A one-stop shop is being introduced to promote investment by foreign companies in Ile de France (Paris region). It has been formed by pooling resources from the Ile de France Regional Council (working through the Paris Région Entreprises body) and Paris City Hall, as well as Paris&Co, the French capital’s economic development and innovation agency, the Métropole du Greater Paris, the Paris Ile de France Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and Business France, the government agency supporting the international development of the French economy.
- Read the Article by Business France here
- How You Can Profitably Enter the US Market: 10 Legal Myths Debunked
- We have observed that there are a lot of myths and untruths in what people believe about doing business in the US and it often stops companies from moving toward their US market expansion goals.The biggest source of misconceptions seems to be the legal field so we are happy to bring you this compendium of 10 common legal myths about US Market Entry and why they are incorrect. It is authored by Marc Friedman, Director of Professional Relations at Global Commerce Education and previously Senior Partner at the global law firm Dentons. Over his 48-year career, Marc has assisted numerous companies in the execution of their US expansion plans.
- Here is what the CEO of a French client company said about the book: “Following the principles in this ebook, Marc helped us have a very successful landing in the United States. The ebook is a solid roadmap for any non-US company considering the American market and I wholeheartedly recommend it.”
- Read the e-book by Global Commerce Education HERE
- The 2019 World Trade Centers Association Trade and Investment Report
- This report, produced by FP Analytics in collaboration with the World Trade Centers Association (WTCA), illuminates the sources of this trade and investments uncertainties, the distinctive traits that make cities resilient, and strategies for adapting to the new normal.
- This study is the result of original city-level data analysis, surveys, and interviews with business leaders from around the world, using the WTCA’s network of more than 325 cities, representing more than 35 percent of global gross domestic product and 1.24 billion people.
- Read the report by FP Analytics in collaboration with the World Trade Centers Association HERE
- Funding for United States Study 2016 Guide
- The Institute of International Education (IIE), a member of the EACCNY, has published the 2016 edition of its annual print directory Funding for United States Study: A Guide for International Students and Professionals, the print companion to IIE’s online search engine www.fundingusstudy.org. With more than 800 grant and scholarship listings, Funding for United States Study is the most comprehensive directory on finding funding for study in the United States, making it an invaluable resource for advisers and international students worldwide. It features detailed descriptions of grants, fellowships, and scholarships for undergraduate and graduate study, and doctoral and postdoctoral research in the United States.
- Purchase print directory | Also available as electronic flipbook
- A two-speed industry – How do private equity investors create value? A study of 2015 European exits”
- This is the 11th in our series of studies examining how European private equity (PE) investors create value in their portfolio companies. Over more than a decade, our studies have tracked PE activity, the industry’s value creation record and key trends. Our findings have consistently demonstrated PE’s ability to generate outperformance through strategic and operational improvement in the companies it backs through both good and more challenging times. Set against a backdrop of record exit numbers and values, this year’s research hones in on one of the key determinants of success for PE investments — length of holding period — and demonstrates the value of agility and importance of consistent activity levels to PE firms’ long-term health.
- Read the Article by Ernst & Young here
- EY survey on foreign investment decisions in Europe and the prospect of Brexit.
- This report is part of a series by EY on the attractiveness of Europe and European countries for cross-border investments
- Read this Article by EY here
- BREXIT: The AIFMD Passport
- The Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive AIFMD creates a single pan-European Economic Area EEA regulatory framework for the managers of alternative investment funds AIFs. This overview considers the potential availability of the pan-EEA AIFMD passport AIFMD passportin the post-Brexit world for both UK and non-EEA AIFs and Managers currently operating from the UK.
- Read the Article by Stephenson Harwood here.
- BREXIT: The MiFID Passport
- A significant part of the UK’s financial services industry relies on the passport under the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive MiFID to provide its services in other Member States of the European Economic Area EEA. The loss of the passport would therefore have a profound effect on financial institutions based in the UK.
- Read the Article by Stephenson Harwood here.
- Trends in Trade Secret Litigation Report 2017
- For decades, companies have turned to federal courts to protect valuable business assets, such as trade secrets. Legal action has expanded over the years, and recent trends have set the foundation for a continual surge in federal secret litigation.
- Read the report by Stout here
- 2018 Automotive Warranty & Recall Report
- Stout’s fourth annual report builds on the original research that Stout began in 2013. As in years past – to complete this report – Stout has compiled and analyzed data from a vast array of sources, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), several international databases, financial reports, and other sources.
- Read the report by Stout here
- The Entrepreneurs Report: Private Company Financing Trends Full-Year 2018
- The consistently strong venture financings market in 2018 resulted in the highest yearly median pre-money valuations and amounts raised for equity rounds since WSGR started tracking this data in 2010. The most dramatic increase was for Series B median pre-money valuations, which reached a high of $73.5 million in full-year 2018—twice the median premoney valuation reported in full-year 2016 and well above the full-year 2017 median of $45.0 million. These strong pre-money valuations were accompanied by high median amounts raised across all equity rounds of financing in full-year 2018, with medians topping those of the prior four years. High pre-money valuations also boosted the percentage of up rounds to 84% of all Series B and later financings for full-year 2018.
- Read the Report by Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati here
- 2018 Technology and Life Sciences IPO Report
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati’s 2018 Technology and Life Sciences IPO Report presents data related to the pricing of 93 IPOs completed by U.S.-based technology and life sciences issuers between January 1 and December 10, 2018. The report documents a vibrant year for IPOs. The 93 offerings during 2018 represent a notable increase over 2017, when there were 61 technology and life sciences IPOs between January 1 and December 15, 2017. Most of the 2018 uptick came from life sciences IPOs, while the number of technology IPOs from 2017 to 2018 remained relatively flat.
- Read the Article by Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati here
- Expat Explorer Survey – How markets compare in 2020
- This provides unique insight into how expat lives differ across the globe. It is conducted by a third party research company YouGov, that reviewed 18,059 expats based in over 30 countries or territories in 2019.
- This survey was commissioned by HSBC Expat. For access to the Expat Explorer Survey, click HERE.
- For more information about HSBC’s international services please contact Jamey.schroder[at]us.hsbc.com
- Summer 2020 Life Sciences Report
- This issue features an interview with Matthew J. Meyer, the firm’s chief client corporate development officer, who has broad management experience in the life sciences sector; a piece authored by Paul Grand and Kathryn Zavala of MedTech Innovator outlining 10 reasons why health care start-ups fail; an interview with Ryan Phelan, co-founder and executive director of Revive & Restore, a 501(c)(3) foundation using 21st century biotechnology to address urgent conservation challenges; and an article by Paul P. Campbell of W. L. Gore & Associates on life sciences innovation culture and deconstruction. In addition, the publication includes articles covering life sciences venture financings in which firm clients participated during 2019, the FDA’s recent issuance of a MAPP on the conversion of ANDA approval to tentative approval, and a sampling of COVID-19-related client activity in which the firm has been involved, as well as a summary of other select recent life sciences client highlights.
- Read the entire publication by Wilson Sonsini Goorich & Rosati HERE